Tuesday 10 April 2012

The Power of Abstinence!

Abstinence. I am sure that you must be wondering if I have had too much exposure to synthetic chemicals and salicylates that I am now a raving, mad woman screaming to her readers about abstinence!

Haha!

The word 'abstinence' is defined as a voluntary restraint from indulging in bodily activities that are widely experienced as giving pleasure. Most frequently, the term refers to abstention from sexual intercourse, alcohol or food.

To people living with Idiopathic Anaphylaxis, abstinence is a powerful act that keeps us safe and symptoms-free. Instead of abstaining from activities that give us pleasure, we abstain from things that can kill us or trigger attacks that send us rushing to the ER.

If certain foods trigger our attacks, we abstain from consuming it.

If certain smells trigger our attacks, we abstain from smelling it.

If certain situations or places trigger our attacks, we abstain from being in such situations or places.

If certain medications trigger our attacks, we abstain from letting them enter into our system.

If certain cleaning agents trigger our attacks, we abstain from using it.

What I have noticed from living with IA during these 3 years is that by abstaining from eating, smelling or using foods, drinks or detergents that can trigger an attack for me, my body has been in the process of slowly healing itself. I find that when I go on total abstinence, I tolerate smells and even vegetables packed with salicylates better.

BUT, after indulging in a MINUTE amount (which is equivalent to a sip of deliciously, salicylate-packed apple and orange juice OR a teaspoon of red spinach, okra, capsicum, tomatoes or even a few slices of cucumbers; which are packed with salicylates), I go back to TOTAL ABSTINENCE! It is like a detox process where the salicylates slowly seep out of my system. Then when the salicylate levels are extremely low, I indulge again in small amounts and then abstain totally from salicylates again.

American Pregnancy Association website states that abstinence prevents pregnancy 100% of the time when practiced consistently.

I say abstinence from our triggers prevents us from attacks 100% of the time when we diligently practice it!

So who is jumping on this bandwagon of abstinence with me?




4 comments:

  1. LOL Maybe we should start an Abstinence Club like they do in church youth groups or high schools? We can wear pins, and take vows, too. hahaha

    ReplyDelete