Sunday 12 February 2012

Crispy Potato Buns/Paus

Ingredients:

1. Butter (250g)

2. Organic all-purpose flour (500g)

3. 4 tablespoons of cold water

4. 8 to 9 large old potatoes

5. 2 big onions

6. Sunflower oil

7. Sea-salt

-------------------

1. Wash the potatoes and peel them. Cut them into tiny cubes. Cut the big onions into tiny cubes too.

2. In a heated pot or wok, pour about 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil. Add the potatoes and big onions in and good until they have soften. Add sea-salt to season. (It is entirely up to you to how rich you want it to taste)

3. Sieve the flour into a large bowl.

4. Then add the butter.

5. Mix them until they resemble bread crumbs.

6. Then add the cold water and mix the mixture until it becomes a compact ball.

7. Divide the compact ball into smaller balls.

8. Roll the smaller balls until they are evenly flat.

9. Scoop a spoonful of the potato dish onto the flattened pastry.

10. Fold the pastry.

11. Repeat step 8 to 10 until all of the pastry is used up.

12. Place the potato paus into pre-heated oven at 230C.

13. Bake for 20 minutes of until lightly browned.

Bon appétit!









4 comments:

  1. Yummmy! Can you believe when I was tested I came up "HIGHLY" Allergic to WHITE POTATO?! I don't know how that is possible, never had a bad reaction...but it did come up and so I eat it only once a week maybe. But it is so hard as I LOVE potato. So, I think I'll make these with cabbage?! What do you think? Any other suggestions? By the way, you are my angel and have really made me feel "normal" for the first time in so long. I am so blessed to have "met" you through your blog. So happy you decided to blog about your experience. You give me strength. Thank you, Evelyn!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyndy! Oh my... Better be careful with potatoes then. Yes, you can add cabbage with minced meat (chicken/pork/beef/turkey). Or celery with meat.

      Thank you for your encouragement. I am glad that I have met you too!

      Take care! And stay safe and healthy!

      Delete
    2. Hey, what kind of butter do you use?? Does it contain salt? This is where I'm confused because I'm told to stay away from corn and corn products, but lactic acid and salt usually has corn in it, and the unsalted butter has lactic acid.. Oh, I'm so confused!! Do you think I could replace the butter with oil? You're salicylate sensitive and it works for you??

      Delete
    3. Hi there! I sometimes use non-salted butter too. It depends on the recipe. You could replace butter with ghee.

      Sometimes the butter causes a mild allergy irritation for me. A little cyst will appear on my eye-lid after an intense period of itching. And the membrane of the eye will gel up. I find cooking the butter or using it in food that will be cooked or baked does not cause it. But if I spread it on the bread and eat it just like that, the little cyst will pop up less than 5 minutes.

      I found out that butter contains colouring.
      Read here:

      http://therighttobealive.blogspot.com/2012/08/salicylate-survival-tips-part-1.html

      I wish you all the best! Take care. :)

      Delete