Wednesday 18 January 2012

Life = Driving in KV (Part 1)

Life can be akin to driving in the Klang Valley (KV). You need to be bold, fearless and full of courage. You need to be prepared to get lost as the signboards are totally 100% informative. In life, you WILL get lost! Everyone gets lost at some point of time in their life. What works for others does not necessarily works for us. Just make sure that you have a handphone and a tank full of petrol. As there are traffic jams everywhere and at any time of the day, make sure you empty your bladder before embarking on your journey, have some snacks in the car and again, make sure your petrol tank is full. In other words, prepare yourself before you go on life's colourful journey.

Driving in KV requires full concentration as there are constantly emergency brakes. The reason? We have lots of gawkers, sleepy drivers and drivers who are permanently entwined with their gadgets. Or should I say handphones. Many or rather most of the drivers today have eyes that are glued to their phones rather than on the road. And when emergency brakes occur, they are not alert enough to avert a collision. Accidents are a normal occurrence in the KV. It is a daily affair. And yet, drivers still do not learn. In life, we should have our eyes on the road of our journey. We need to pay attention to what is happening in our life. If you see a breakdown coming, take a break. If you see a collision in front of you, don't continue head on. Put the brakes on and STOP! And stop whining about wasting those 5 or 15 minutes. Be thankful that you have your life. Be grateful that you are intact! Unharmed. Alive.

I remember how my dad would sit next to me for the next few months after I had obtained my driver's license to guide and to teach me how to maneuver the car. I remember very clearly what he told me about driving around bends and big turns. He told me how my body should flow along with the turn. And if I turned to the left, my body should incline towards the left. And if I turned to the right, my body should incline towards the right. It is true that we should go with the flow in life. We should never be rigid. By inclining ourselves toward the direction that life takes us, we will be able to adapt better and to steer life in an easier manner. Why don't you be rigid when you drive the next time and try to turn that sharp bend and let's see how well you maneuver it.

To be a mature and experienced driver takes time. It is the same with life. It takes time and maturity for one to be able to handle life's unexpected hiccups and bumpy rides. If you give up on driving, you will get nowhere. Oh yes, you can always rely on our 'efficient' public transport which will cause you endless delays and many times not arriving at your destination at all. And if you give up with life, you are as good as dead. Of course shit happens. Unexpected bangs from the back or side. Breakdowns. Tyre punctures. Shattered windshields by flying pebbles. What will you do then? Give up on driving? Give in to the fear of being smashed again? Take the public transport and get derailed, delayed or not ever arriving at your destination?

The more you drive, the better you will become at it. The more you live your life in an alive manner, trust me, you will excel in life. Someway or another.


Coming soon : Life = Driving in KV(Part 2:The Top 10 Drivers That You Meet On The Road)



Robinson Crusoe's Friday




4 comments:

  1. well said! you can be a qualified driving ( & life) instructor now!

    Happy New Year Evelyn, hope you are not too busy for the CNY! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lily: Joel said that I can be an instructor because I am 'bossy' and 'clever to scold people'! Hahaha... Happy New Year to you and hubby. I am going to 'hibernate' for these 9 days of school holidays! :) Thanks Lily! Much hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome writing and great metaphor. So true. I'll think of this every times someone slams their brakes in front of me!

    ReplyDelete