Wednesday 17 September 2014

Cooking For Joel: Rice & Millet Milk

I went out the other day to get some 'wheat-free' flour a.k.a 'gluten-free' flour and decided to look at the rice milk that was sold. 1L of organic rice milk was selling for RM15.90! It was like buying gold. I did take a look at the ingredients and rice was only 15%! The bulk of the drink was water. The rest was sugar, and some added vitamins and non-coagulant ingredient which I can't remember what it's called.

This is my second version of home-made rice milk. Even I drank it. And it worked very well for the stomach. It soothed it.

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup of white organic fragrant rice
2. 1/4 cup of organic millet
3. Brown sugar

------------------------------------------------------


1. Preheat oven to 180C.

2. Pour 1 cup of rice and millet onto baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. (This makes the milk to be more fragrant).

3. Once it is done, allow to cool.

4. Wash the rice/millet and soak it overnight in the fridge.

5. Pour the water away and give it a rinse.

6. I used my Philips soya maker for the next step. If you do not own one, you can blend the mixture with the water and then strain the liquid out. You can also blend the mixture, boil it and then strain it. Or you can boil the rice with water until everything becomes mashy and then strain the liquid out.

7. The soya maker pulverized the rice/millet and boiled it for approximately 25 minutes.

8. Once it was done, the milk was sieved.

9. I added some brown sugar to the drink.

I found that the white rice milk becomes even thicker than the brown rice once it cools down. It became one big blob of goo. I poured water into a mug, added the milk and stirred it whenever we wanted to have a drink. I kept the remainder in the fridge in an airtight container. I am experimenting with all sorts of wheat-free (gluten free) food now. But I won't be making white rice milk anymore. Brown rice tastes better and it's healthier too.

Bon appétit!


2 comments:

  1. I think you are going to get really tired of my comments, so if you do, let me know. I just want to help and I've had now four years more experience dealing with gluten and allergy issues as many of my food allergies are the same as Joel's. Well, I don't actually have an allergy or sensitivity to gluten, it just incites an autoimmune flare up for me.

    You mentioned to me once about your family history with thyroid problems which is why I want to say this. If Joel is susceptible to thyroid issues or currently has them and you are unaware, although millet doesn't have gluten in it, it's a goitrogen which is a food that suppresses thyroid activity. You might be trying to replace milk with something equally as bad for him. You all might benefit from the Paleo diet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are currently waiting for the blood test results to be out before making our next move. We will decide from there.... Thanks for all the info.

      Delete