Tuesday 8 May 2012

The S & F Words

* Do skip this post if you are a Puritan. You have been warned!

A few weeks ago, the moment my son got up the car after school, we had a conversation that went like this:

Joel: Mommie, teacher so and so said that we cannot use the S and F words in her class.

Me: Did teacher explain and tell all of you what the S and F words mean?

Joel: No.

Me: What if I said slow and fast?

Joel: HOR!!! I will teacher that you said the S and F words!!!!!

Haha!! Such innocence. It is only a matter of time before he finds out what they are.

I have been told that if I were to send Joel to a 'religious' school, he would then not be exposed to the 'cultures of the world'. Or keep him at home and home-school him and protect him from the onslaught of the world.

Which brings me to my next point.

Where do you think your children are going to work when they finish their studies? Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Where do you think they are going to pursue a degree? Mind you, many of the cultures of universities and colleges today consist of sex, parties, drugs and booze. Of course there are people who do not practice such ways of life. But there are a large number of students who do. And your children are bound to mingle with them.

What I am trying to say is that if your children have been over-protected all these years to the extend of not knowing what the S and F words are, imagine the shock they will get the moment they step out of their cocooned state of life.

It is all about balance. And by balance, I mean that they have to learn the good and the bad about this life on this planet. Unprotected sex when one is not ready is bad as unwanted pregnancies are a catastrophe. Abandoned babies, back-lane abortions, forced marriages which end up in divorce or abuse. But does this mean that we tell our children that all sex is evil? Drum it into their brain that sex is dirty and that hell awaits those who think of sex?

The world is changing. And we have to change with it. Little children as young as two years old are able to maneuver the iPad and iPhone better than any of their parents. Children are maturing at an even earlier age. The olden method which we were raised up with do not work anymore. The 'Because-I-said-so-because-I-am-your-father/mother' does not work anymore today. My son demands a precise explanation and if it defies logic, that's it. He will know that mommie or daddy is bull-shitting him.

It can be akin to carrying a large suitcase. As the child is too small to carry it, an adult will carry it for him/her UNTIL he/she is old enough to carry it on his/her own. So at this point of time, I will carry that baggage for Joel until he is deemed strong enough to carry it on his own. And if you disagree with me about how I raise him up, I got two words for you. Shut Up.

Life comes in a package. It consists of the good, the bad and the ugly. As Joel reaches a new stage, a new phase, I will release little nuggets of life to him so that he will be prepared to face the world which is many times, Full of Shit.

Damn!

I just said the S and F words again!!!



3 comments:

  1. Fragrance and Scent. HA!

    Strange the teacher would call it S & F words without telling the kids what that means. Did one of the kids say a bad word or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely. But I think it was some kids from another class.

      Delete
  2. Hey there Girl!
    Die! You used the D word. And you forgot the B word!

    ReplyDelete