Tuesday 14 February 2012

The 10 Must-Dos and Must-Haves of an IA Person

1. Epi-Pen 

Carry your Epi-Pen at all times. Even in the house. And yes, even in the toilet. And also it should be at your bedside table when you sleep. (IMPORTANT: Epi-Pens have expiry dates! So be aware of when your pens expire. Get them replaced before they expire. If not, YOU will expire if you have a full-blown anaphylactic attack without an Epi.

2. Medic Alert 

Wear a Medic Alert bracelet or necklace. Yes, even if the ER nurse asks you whether it is an amulet or what language 'Medic Alert' is in.

3.Handphone 

Carry your hand phone with you at all times. Yes, even in the toilet. And please carry a hand phone that has been charged!

4. Medicines 

Carry your medicines with you at all times. Yes, even if it's a walk to the park nearby. You never know what might happen. Shit happens. And it could happen anytime and anywhere. Better to be prepared than dead.

5. Medicines

Eat your meds everyday. Be punctual about it. And don't wait till last minute to get them refilled. They could be out of stock.

6. Letter 

I carry an envelope with the word 'ALLERGY' in capitals, bold and underlined. And in it are letters which some of my doctors wrote, explaining my condition and that I am a patient with a history of anaphylaxis. 

7. Support Group

Find one. It really helps as you will not feel so alone. And when you are down, they can lift you up with encouragement as they speak the same language as you do. Or even find similar people like you. Of course there will be people who will be selfish and not willing to share their survival guide with you. It's ok. Move on until you have found the right one. 

I have found wonderful people from USA, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Australia and even Brazil who have really encouraged me. And I have learned more about my condition and tips on how to survive better.

8. Blood Pressure Machines 

I have one and if I am feeling unwell after an exposure to salicylate or chemicals, I will monitor my blood pressure. If it starts plunging, then I will Epi myself and head to the ER.

9. Know Your Trigger Points 

10. Eat, Sleep and Be Merry 

Easier said than done, but it is necessary for our survival.





6 comments:

  1. I am carrying around an expired epi-pen. Will renew my prescription, now that you reminded me. Also, should get a medic-alert, especially since there are so many medications I'm allergic too.This is a great list. Thank you. Also, wondering if you have a recipe for the yellow cake you made with the cocoa in it? Love and health, Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyndy. I'll go look for the recipe and will send it to you sometime this weekend.

      Yup, better get that new Epi-Pen! :)
      Love and health to you too!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I do not carry an epi-pen with me as the allergist isn't sure that I am having chemical sensitivity problems, but he is trying to keep an "open mind" about it. I do have the information in my phone and probably should get a medic alert necklace or something as I have to take gabapentin until my brain heals from the trauma as a result of being ill a year ago - which now I think was a chemical overdose/allergic reaction. I use my blood pressure machine a lot as my pressure drops when I am having problems too. It is nice to be able to communicate with someone who has very similar symptoms. I am just starting the food elimination diet and hope my health improves soon. Tonight I am going to a party where there will be desserts and dancing. I can't eat the desserts and my husband doesn't dance, but he wants to go anyway! It will be hard being around all of the sugary desserts and not being able to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Thanks! YEs, it is good to be communicate with people who are in the same boat as we are.

      I go out and meet my friends who are 'normal' too. They eat, drink from the cafes or restaurants. I eat my own food or sometimes not at all if I have eaten or it is time for me to eat yet. I just sit and chat with them. I am used to all the 'forbidden' food surrounding all around me. Sometimes, I even have to wear masks as I can't tolerate the smells.

      But the fellowship is good! :)

      I guess we have to see which battles are worth fighting for and some worth letting go.

      All the best! :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Evelyn,
    Happy belated Valentine's to you. Wishing you love all around. Can I add you to my blog as I would like to follow your posts, but that could also mean opening your blog to my readers? I need to ask to respect your privacy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene!

      Thank you and same to you. Yes, you may. No problem at all. Thank you for asking. And thank you for adding me! :)

      Delete